Choosing the best software to keep your business running smoothly can be a make-or-break decision. From task management software to team collaboration software, the programs that make your organization tick are the lifeblood of your efficiency and productivity. Getting advice from real reviews is a smart way to vet which software programs to use every day — but which sites offer the best recommendations? Here is a breakdown of what we consider the 5 best online software review sites built to help users determine which programs are worth downloading.
Capterra’s bragging points include having 200,000 plus reviews for software programs in more than 400 categories. The site is no fuss, no muss — just an easy search feature and the ability to see all of the available programs within a single software category. Some of Capterra’s other selling points include:
- About 2/3 of all reviews are from people who have used the product for at least one year
- Most of the reviews are from users who utilize the program they reviewed every day
- More than half of reviews are from someone at a small business with fewer than 50 employees
- A significant number of reviews (1 in 15) are from self-employed users
Are you looking for reviews from small businesses with at least one year of experience with their software? You might find Capterra to be the ideal review site for your needs. The program also has a lot of reviews from larger companies, so you’re not left out if you’re past the startup phase.
I’ve got Capterra at the top of this list because of what they’ve done for our team management software start-up personally. Their PPC directory and review campaigns have driven more leads to our business than any other channel of marketing we’ve tried.
As its name suggests, this review site specializes in cloud business apps. GetApp has about 180,000 reviews for more than 5,000 apps. Categories include big data software, calendar software and floor plan software. Other benefits include:
- Many reviews include the photo and LinkedIn link for the reviewer, which adds authenticity and personalization
- A rating breakdown that includes separate ratings for “Ease of Use” and more
- Niche app reviews are available for categories including Museum Software and Pilates Studio Software
If your organization needs a niche, cloud-based app or add-on, know that GetApp can help you find it. The site is ideal for any size company in need of a browser add-on or app that can go from desktop to mobile.
This site’s name gets down to business, and so does its interface. Software Advice offers easy searching of more than 100,000 reviews and more than 400 unique software buying guides for categories like Accounting and Nonprofit. Other advantages to using Software Advice include:
- Free online chat or phone consultations from Software Advice experts
- An “Advisor Recommendations” figure on each review that shows how many times the product has been recommended in a consultation during the last 30 days
- To-the-point software descriptions that identify which type of organization a software is best for
Consider Software Advice if you need a personalized experience that includes a free consultation as you narrow down software choices. The site also has plenty of user reviews, so you can also see what the average user has to say about the product you’re considering.
TrustRadius has a community of more than 130,000 users who have contributed upwards of 80,000 unique reviews to the site. They pride themselves on providing particularly detailed guides and reviews of their software. Type A users may find the benefits of TrustRadius appealing, especially:
- Downloadable software comparison guides as long as 100 pages that include in-depth reviews, industry trends and software comparisons
- The customer demographics of the top-rated vendors in each software category
- Informational articles on software categories like Content Management that provide additional background and analysis
If you require a nitty-gritty evaluation of software industries and trends before making a decision, know that TrustRadius guides and reviews are likely to be up your alley. You must sign in to see reviews, but the process is free and you can do so via your LinkedIn login.
The G2 Crowd site aims to crowdsource the best possible reviews from actual users. Reviews are posted in real-time and come from a community of more than 200,000 users. Organizations looking for information about team management software and other tools may be attracted to the following features:
- More than 100 detailed reports that offer a product comparison and ample research within a software category
- A Q&A section where users can see the type of questions other software users are asking and the G2 Crowd response
- A transparent research agenda that lets users know when the next research reports will be released
Are you a research wonk who likes up-to-date data and reviews? The G2 Crowd model will likely be appealing. Their real-time reviews and monthly commitments to providing new data keep their recommendations fresh.
Choosing the right program for your accounting or project management software takes time and consideration. Thanks to these five sites who have done a lot of the heavy lifting for you, there’s no reason to spend hours down a rabbit hole signing up for tons of free trials. Just browse the detailed reports and user reviews, and you could have a new software set up in minutes.